Sunday 22 April 2012

Year of the Cupcake #11: Apricot Upside-Down Cakes (diabetic friendly... allegedly...)

Depending on how often you read my blog, you may be aware that I have decided that I want to get a bit fitter in time for my 30th birthday *shudders* and also eat a bit more thoughtfully. So when my BFF Em and I decided to catch up for afternoon tea, I thought it would be prudent to choose something a little bit lighter on the calories as I knew I'd be going back for seconds ;) I got this from the Australian Women's Weekly site and are supposed to be diabetic friendly. They have a little under 140cal per serve, which isn't **that** bad (provided you only eat one!).

(as I write this, Em hasn't tried them yet but I have, and I think they're okay... but then, it's pretty hard to find me much happier than when I'm eating a bowl of Weetbix with banana or sultanas and a little bit of All Bran on it (I know, I'm a freak), so I'm probaly not the best judge of whether something wholemeal is tasty...)

I know that I'm kind of cheating making this my April entry for my Year of the Cupcake challenge because they didn't come in cupcake wrappers, and they were upside-down, but they were made in a cupcake tin! Huzzah!

INGREDIENTS:
1 tbsp + 3/4c brown sugar, firmly packed
12 canned apricot halves in syrup, drained
2 eggs
3/4c (90g) almond meal
1tsp vanilla essence
1/3c (50g) wholemeal SR flour
1/2c (125mL) skim milk
1/4c (80g) apricot conserve, warmed

Preheat oven to 180oC. Grease 12-hole muffin tin and line bases with little squares of baking paper. Sprinkle sugar (from the 1tbsp) evenly across holes and add 1 apricot half to each, cut side down.

Using an electric mixer, beat eggs and 3/4c sugar in medium bowl until light and fluffy. Stir in almond meal, essence, flour and milk. Divide mixture among pan holes (it will be quite runny).

Bake about 20mins. Stand for 5mins; turn onto a wire rack. Brush apricot conserve over hot cakes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

570kJ; 5g total fat; 19g carbohydrate; 1.5g fibre; 50mg sodium; medium GI.

I ended up brusing on blackberry conserve because it's all we had in the fridge.

They are quite a tasty morsel, as long as you like the natural sweetness of wholemeal flour rather than the overpowering sweetness of white sugar. The texture is rough, but not unpleasantly so, and the squishiness of the apricot keeps it interesting. I dare say that they would be wonderful served hot with a dollop of thickened cream, but I suppose that's defeating the purpose ;)

4 comments:

  1. Having All Bran with Weetbix sounds like the breakfast cereal equivalent of having steak wrapped in bacon...although not nearly as tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you'd think so, but no - once you grow accustomed to the natural sweetness of wholemeal products and fruit it's actually quite enjoyable :)

      Also, steak wrapped in bacon? HELL YEAH!!!

      Delete
  2. Oooo love this recipe! And these totally count as cupcakes :) Saving this recipe for later! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny - I've been making a new cupcake each month for about the last ten months, and I'm actually starting to think in terms of cupcakes! I wonder what I will bake in a cupcake tin and call a cupcake next...

      Delete

Give me the loves! Erm, I mean, comment here...