Sunday 30 October 2011

Ginger Prawn and Green Mango Salad

This is a recipe that I got inspriation for when I googled "green mango salad", as I had green mangoes and seemed to recall that I enjoyed it in Thailand. True to form I forgot to buy half the ingredients and had to substitute several others that I **thought** were in the cupboard, and further to that had opted to take a little bit from several recipes, so it came out quite a bit different to the original. This serves two people and is quite a light, summery meal.

INGREDIENTS:
1 green mango, finely sliced (note that my mango was green on the outside but fairly soft on the inside. I don't recall that being the texture from Thailand but it had a certain tartness that offset the normal mango sweetness)
1/2 a continental cucumber, or 1 whole lebanese cucumber, julienned
1/4c chopped, roasted peanuts
2tbsp mint leaves, finely sliced

10 green prawns, deveined
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp finely sliced, or grated ginger
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp water
2 tbsp lime juice
2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, torn
1 small chilli, seeded and finely sliced
Sesame oil to taste

Combine ingredients as far as the mint leaves in a bowl. Save some of the peanuts and a couple of whole mint sprigs for garnish.

Cook prawns in frying pan with ginger and oil until cooked through (white) and vaguely pale brown, turning once.

Add cooked prawns to salad ingredients.

Combine remaining ingredients in a cup, reserving a couple of sprigs of coriander for a garnish. Add to salad and toss through.



Yummm. It's a winner. I'm not sure whether I prefer it over the Thai Beef Salad I make, but it's good to know I have this up my sleeve for an alternative quick and light summer meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me the loves! Erm, I mean, comment here...