Monday 21 June 2010

Emptying the Pantry: Part Five - "Whatever" Biscuits

No, my friends, this is NOT a reference to mid-nineties popular culture.


These biscuits are called "Whatever" biscuits because you can put whatever you want in them! In this case, it involved walnuts, dates, apricots, sultanas and glace ginger. These truly are one you can use to empty the dregs of the pantry.

I'm home. I truly am home. This is the Holy Grail of baking for me. This is what I've been searching for. A recipe that I can throw together, off the top of my head, and that will turn out just fine. As we speak I am waiting for them to cool enough for me to determine whether they fit the bill, but I suspect they will. THANKYOU, CWA!!! (FYI, the recipe is from the CWA's "biscuits and slices" book, which is nice and compact and well presented and makes a great gift - thanks again, Jordana!)

INGREDIENTS:
110g butter
1/2c sugar
1 egg
1c SR flour
1c "whatever"

And that's it! How easy is that to remember! Almost as easy as pav (4 egg whites, 1c castor sugar, 1tbsp cornflour, 1tsp white vinegar)! Where there's a pattern, I remember. For this one, you bake them at 180oC for 10-15 mins. Cream butter and sugar, mix in egg, then sifted flour and "whatever".

The end.


Yum.

PS - Om nom nom. They turned out just fine! Some of one tray turned out ugly, so I had to eat them to destroy any evidence that points towards anything less than total baking prowess. So I suggest making sure they're well spaced on the tray.

PPS - The recipe really DID make twenty! This is a landmark event! Okay, actually, it made nineteen, but I snuck a bit of the dough every now and then, just to make sure it wasn't poisoned...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Give me the loves! Erm, I mean, comment here...